Marinated Steak Peppers Onions
Prep: 10 minutes plus marinating and standingCook: 25 minutesServes: 4
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1 package (16 ounces) AFS® Fresh Fajita Mix
- 4 top sirloin steaks, trimmed (about 6 ounces each)
- In medium bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, brown sugar and steak seasoning. Place vegetables in large zip-top plastic bag; pour half the marinade into bag. Place 2 steaks in each of 2 large zip-top plastic bags; pour half the remaining marinade into each bag. Seal bags, pressing out extra air; refrigerate at least 1 or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spread vegetable mixture in single layer on rimmed baking pan. Roast 15 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Heat large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Cook steaks, 5 minutes or until browned and crispy, turning once. Transfer skillet to oven; roast 5 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 135° for medium-rare. Transfer steak to cutting board; let stand 10 minutes.
- Slice steak across the grain; serve with vegetables.
Note from Dietitian
The stir-fry mix is an excellent source of vitamins A and C. This recipe contains 30g fat (56% of total calories) and 7g saturated fat (13% of total calories) per serving. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend limiting saturated fat to no more than 10% of total daily calories. The 6 oz (raw weight) sirloin steaks in this recipe provide about 4.5 oz eq. of protein. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend limiting saturated fat to no more than 10% of total daily calories and consuming 5.5 oz eq. protein/day for a 2,000 calorie level Healthy U.S. Eating Pattern. As part of a balanced approach to a healthy diet, balance saturated fats and proteins in your other daily meals. Consider serving with a carbohydrate-based side or using this dish to balance higher carbohydrate meals in order to manage carbohydrate intake to about 60-70% of your daily caloric intake.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015 - 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th Edition. December 2015. Available at https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/
Approximate nutritional values per serving
- 485 Calories
- 30g Fat (7g Saturated)
- 111mg Cholesterol
- 353mg Sodium
- 14g Carbohydrates
- 1g Fiber
- 10g Sugars
- 3g Added Sugars
- 38g Protein